The Graduate Association of Aeronautics and Astronautics (GA3) represents current graduate students within the Aeronautics and Astronautics Department at MIT. Our goal is to organize social and professional activities which strengthen and enrich the community within the department, and to help publicize various research activities within the department. We organize social hours, host talks by guest speakers and students, and help communicate with the department and the Graduate Student Council.
GA^3 also works with other AeroAstro student organizations such as Graduate Women in Aerospace Engineering (GWAE), AeroAfro and the AeroAstro REFS (Resources for Easing Friction and Stress). These combined efforts include advocating for students to the department and Institute, organizing visit day and orientation events for new students, and shared events such as the popular Community Awareness Lunch and Learn (CALL), supported by the MindHandHeart Innovation Fund.
We encourage all current AeroAstro graduate students to come forward and participate in the group. Members along with the GA^3 officers play important roles in spearheading many of GA^3's initiatives, activities, and student advocacy issues. Some of the programs/advocacy issues on the horizon include the following:
- Student Seminar Series
- Encouraging Up-to-Date Departmental Web Sites
- Inter-laboratory Socials and Tours
- Mitigating the Student Life Fee
- Creating an Enhanced Mechanism for Course Feedback
- Providing Better Information and Orientation for Incoming Students
- Mentoring Students at Various Levels
- Working on Departmental Diversity and Inclusion Efforts
- Advocating for Graduate Students to the Department (Advisor Relationships, Funding Issues, Program Structure/Qualifying Exams, International Students...)
- Study Breaks and Mental Health Outreach